Defining Database Management Settings
The Database Management settings can be configured in the Management Tool by a user with the administrative Database Management permission.
During the database management process, you can view the database settings, and define the parameters required for the Archive & Cleanup operation, for deleting offline Clients without sessions, and for shrinking the database transaction log (depending on the database type), etc.
To define the database management settings, click the Configuration navigation link on the left, and then select the Database Management tab on the Configuration page.
The following settings can be defined and/or viewed in the sections below:
1. Database Settings
In this section, you can view the general database settings, such as the database type (MS SQL or PostgreSQL), database version, database name, and database user name.
2. Archive Parameters
In this section, you can configure the parameters applied to the Archive & Cleanup operation according to your database type.
Optionally, the following checkboxes can also be selected to enable the corresponding options:
- Use separate credentials to access binary storage: If an existing User name and Password is required to access the binary storage location, e.g. for a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device, if the path defined in the Binary Data Location field above it is to a NAS device (this option is only displayed if binary storage is used).
- Shrink database transaction log after cleanup: Shrinking of the database transaction log will take place after a Cleanup operation is performed (this option is only available for the MS SQL database).
- Delete offline Clients without sessions: For the system to automatically delete offline Clients whenever they do not have any Client sessions stored (e.g. after a database cleanup operation), and return the licenses from these Clients to the pool of available licenses.
NOTE: If the "Amazon S3-like storage" option is used to store the binary data (i.e. screen captures), then the "Use separate credentials to access binary storage" option is not available, and additional parameters (i.e. the S3 URL, bucket name, and access keys) are also required. More information can be found on the Configuring Ekran System to Store Binary Data in Amazon S3 page.
3. [Buttons:] At the bottom of the page, the following buttons can be used by pressing them at any time to do the following:
- Test Database Connection : To check that there is currently an active connection between the Application Server and the database (after which a message is displayed stating whether the database is online or offline).
- Shrink Transaction Log: To shrink the database transaction log (this option is only available for the MS SQL database).
- Update Statistics: To perform a rebuild of database indices, so as to provide for faster operation of the database.
- Save: To apply and save any changes made on the Database Management tab page.