Defining Exceptions for USB Rules
The list of exceptions contains all the devices that will not be monitored or blocked.
Unlike the Monitored devices list that contains the classes of devices, exceptions are added for each separate device individually.
Exceptions can be added on the Rule Conditions tab while adding or editing a rule. In case you want to block vendor-specific devices, make sure that you add all permitted user devices to the list of exceptions.
To add a new exception, do the following:
1. On the Edit USB Rule page, on the Rule Conditions tab, scroll down to the Exceptions section at the bottom of the page, and click the Add button in the bottom right.
2. On the Add Exception page that opens, select one of the following options, before entering the device details in the fields:
• Quick selection: Allows you to enter your Device Hardware ID.
• Custom selection: Allows you to enter the Vendor ID (VID), Product ID (PID), Revision, and Serial number in the corresponding fields.
NOTE: The Vendor ID (VID) and the Product ID (PID) are required fields, while the Revision and Serial fields are optional.
NOTE: A "*" wildcard character can be entered into any of the 4 fields, as shown in the screenshot below (but only as a single character, as the wildcard cannot be combined with any other characters). This may also be useful as a workaround in cases when the Device Hardware ID contains any special characters that are not accepted when entered into the system (e.g. the "?" character).
3. Optionally, enter a description for the exception in the Description field.
4. Click the Add button in the bottom right.
5. The specified device is now added to the list of exceptions.
6. Click the Finish button in the bottom right of the page to save the USB monitoring rule.
7. The rule has now been edited.