Installing Windows Clients through Group Policy Using a .MSI File
You can install Clients on a selected group of computers through Group Policy using a .msi file.
When installing the Client through Group Policy, you must first create a configuration file that includes the Application Server parameters. This file can be created using Microsoft Orca.
To create the configuration file using Microsoft Orca, do the following:
1. Right-click the agent.msi file, and select Edit with Orca in the context menu.
2. In the window that opens, on the Transform menu, select New Transform.
3. In the Tables pane, click Property.
4. In the pane that opens, right-click and select Add Row in the context menu.
5. In the Add Row window, specify the Application Server parameters, and then click OK:
• Property: SERVER_NAME
• Value: <Server IP>
6. When you have finished, on the Transform menu, select Generate Transform.
7. Enter a name for the .mst file (e.g. EkranSystemClient.mst), and then save it.
To perform installation through Group Policy, do the following:
1. Create a shared folder where you will put the agent.msi file and the .mst file you have created. Make sure the shared folder is accessible from all computers where you will install the Ekran System Client.
2. In the domain controller, use the Windows Start menu, to open Administrative Tools, and click Group Policy Management.
3. Right-click on Group Policy Objects, and select New in the context menu.
4. In the New GPO window that opens, enter a name for the new group policy object (e.g. Ekran System Client installation), and then click OK.
5. To link a new object to your domain, in the navigation pane, right-click on your domain, and then select Link an Existing GPO in the context menu.
6. In the Select GPO window, select the group policy object that you have created, and click OK.
7. To remove authenticated users, in the navigation pane, click the group policy object that you have created.
8. On the Scope tab, in the Security Filtering section, click Authenticated Users, and then click the Remove button at the bottom.
9. To add computers or a computer group on which Ekran System Clients will be installed, click the Add button at the bottom.
10. In the Select User, Computer, or Group dialog box, enter the name of the group whose members are to apply the GPO, and then click OK. If you do not know the name of the group, you can click Advanced to browse the list of groups available in the domain.
11. Right-click on the group policy object that you have created, and select Edit in the context menu.
12. The Group Policy Management Editor window then opens.
13. Select Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings.
14, Right-click Software installation, and in the context menu, select New > Package.
15. Locate the agent.msi file in the share.
NOTE: It is very important that the paths to both the agent.msi file and the .mst file are not local or through a network drive. The path must be through a network share accessible from everywhere in your network and to which everyone has at least Read permissions for.
16. In the Deploy Software window, select Advanced.
17. On the Modifications tab, click Add.
18. Locate the .mst file that you have created in the share.
NOTE: It is very important that the paths to both the agent.msi file and the .mst file are not local or through a network drive. The paths must be through a network share accessible from everywhere in your network and to which everyone has at least Read permissions for.
19. Restart the computers on which Ekran System Clients will be installed.
NOTE: It may require 2-3 restarts to update the GPO on these computers.