Monitoring Windows Clients
Windows Clients operate as follows:
• Each Windows Client starts automatically when the computer starts up.
• A licensed Windows Client monitors both local and remote sessions, depending on the license type:
- Workstation Client license (one local/remote session)
- Infrastructure Server Client license (up to two concurrent sessions)
- Terminal Server Client license (several concurrent sessions)
• Every time a user logs in (or a Client computer is restarted), the Windows Client starts recording user activity in a new session. Furthermore, the maximum duration of one session cannot be longer than 24 hours, as at 00:00 (midnight) all live sessions are terminated. After termination (their status changes from Live to Finished), and new live sessions then start automatically.
• If a user works with multiple monitors, the Windows Client records screen captures from all of them.
• The Windows Client sends the monitoring data to the Application Server, and the data is compressed on the Client side before it is sent.
To disable data compression on the Client side, in the Windows Registry Editor, select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EkranSystem\Client key, and add a new value with the following parameters:
- Value type: DWORD
- Value name: Compression
- Value data: 0
• In case there is no connection with the Application Server (i.e. the application is unavailable), the Client temporarily stores the monitored data locally and automatically sends it to the Application Server as soon as the connection is restored. The data is stored in the TempWrite.dat file in the Client installation folder. The Client will stop writing data to its offline cache in the following cases:
- The amount of data stored offline reaches the limit defined during remote Client installation or during generation of Client installation package. The default value is 500 MB.
- There is less than 500 MB of free space remaining on the hard drive. This parameter can be defined during remote Client installation or generation of Client installation package. The default value is 500 MB.
• In case any Client ever stops working for any reason, it is restarted automatically by a watchdog mechanism process (EkranController).
• By default, the Windows Client records user activity as follows:
- Typing: every 10 seconds.
- Mouse clicking: every 3 seconds.
- Active window changing: every 3 seconds.
To change the frequency of user activity recording, in the Windows Registry Editor, select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EkranSystem\Client key, and modify the following values:
- Value name: SmartScrTimer
2. Mouse clicking:
- Value name: SmartScrTimerMouse
The Client records user activity no more often than specified by the default values.
NOTE: User activity recording triggers usually influence each other. Therefore, the average frequency of user activity recording is usually lower than that specified above.