This guide is intended to assist customers to get started with a cloud-based SaaS deployment of Ekran System, and explains the first steps to take which differ from those required for on-premises deployments of Ekran System.
NOTE: Many deployment, configuration, and various other tasks cannot be performed in SaaS deployments and the corresponding functionality is not therefore available (since these tasks are done by the Ekran System vendor). Furthermore, some features which are available in on-premises deployments, are not currently available in SaaS deployments, and for this reason such features are marked on the appropriate pages of this Knowledge Base by: NOT AVAILABLE IN SAAS
After being issued with a SaaS serial key from your Ekran System vendor, you will be provided with the following details by email to access the Management Tool:
• A URL (i.e. <Customer_name>.ekransystem.com) to open the Ekran System Management Tool in your browser.
• Management Tool “admin” login credentials.
The SaaS serial key type is currently only available:
• for monitoring Windows computers.
• for the Enterprise Edition of Ekran System.
• and is subscription-based.
Table of Contents
1. Logging in to The Management Tool
To log in to the Management Tool for the first time, do the following:
1. Enter the URL provided by your vendor into your browser address bar, to access the Management Tool login screen.
2. Enter the “admin” login credentials provided to you by your vendor.
3. Mandatorily change your password (by entering a new password in both fields).
NOTE: The password must be at least 8 characters long, and contain at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, one numeric character, and one special character, and cannot contain more than 3 consecutive identical characters).
NOTE: In SaaS deployments, all users are forced to change their password on their first login.
4. Log in to the Management Tool again (using your new password).
5. Scan the QR code displayed by using an authenticator app on a mobile device (e.g. Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator) to set up 2FA.
NOTE: Make sure you save the recovery code displayed, in case you lose access to your authenticator device.
NOTE: In SaaS deployments, all users are forced to set up 2FA on their first login, and subsequently log in using 2FA, and this feature cannot be disabled (unlike in the on-premises deployments, on the User Management page).
6. Click Confirm, and enter the authentication code generated by using the authenticator app.
7. You are then logged into the Management Tool.
2. Viewing the Serial Key and Client Licenses
To view your activated Saas serial key (and the licenses for Clients that it contains), do the following:
1. Click the Configuration () button (at the top of the Management Tool interface).
2. On the Configuration page that opens, on the Serial Key Management tab, the serial key is displayed along with details about it (including the Update & Support period, the licenses for Clients that it contains, etc).
NOTE: Viewing the serial key is done in the same way as for on-premises deployments, except that in SaaS deployments, the serial key does not need to be activated by the user (since it has already been activated by the vendor). However, if your Ekran System vendor updates your (existing) serial key, you also need to update it (by clicking the Update Serial Key button) in the Managment Tool for the changes to take effect.
NOTE: You will be notified 14 days, 5 days, and 1 day before the serial key expires, and if you do not renew it in time, it will no longer be possible to monitor your Clients 7 days after the expiration date.
3. Installing the Windows Client on Endpoint Computers to be Monitored
To download the installation file, and install the Windows Client on an endpoint computer, do the following:
1. Log in to the Management Tool as a user with the administrative Client Installation and Management permission.
2. Click the Client Management navigation link on the left.
3. On the Client Management page, click the Install Clients button (in the top right of the page).
4. On the Computers Without Clients page that opens, click the Download Installation File button.
5. After the EkranSystemClient.msi file is downloaded, copy it to any folder on the Client (i.e. endpoint) computer to be monitored.
6. Open the Windows Command Prompt (cmd) or PowerShell application on the Client computer (as the administrator user), and using the path to the folder where the EkranSystemClient.msi file is located, run the following command to install the Client locally: msiexec /i EkranSystemClient.msi PROXY_HOST=<hostname or IP address of load balancer of Ekran System proxy server>.
7. The Client is then installed on the endpoint computer, and user activity will start to be monitored as soon as a user logs in to it (and the user activity can be viewed by way of the Management Tool).
4. Completing Getting Started
You can now continue with getting started in the usual way, i.e. in a similar way as to for on-premises deployments (please first refer to the Getting Started (Checklist) page), while ignoring those parts of the functionality described that is not available for SaaS deployments.